skip to content

Brexit: Analysis and FAQs


This information was last updated on 19 November 2020.

Q. For the purpose of this guidance, who is an 'EU national'?

For the purpose of the questions below on this page, the definition of ‘EU national’ includes all of the following nationalities: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Please note that this does not cover Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland.

Q. How will Brexit affect EU students accessing student loans?

Students who are continuing or starting a course in the 2020/21 academic year, and are eligible to receive loans and/or grants from Student Finance England, will continue to remain eligible for the duration of their course.

Read the full announcement here.

Following the UK’s departure from the EU, it has been confirmed that most EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals starting courses on or after 1 August 2021 will not be eligible for support from Student Finance England.

These changes will not affect EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively. Irish nationals living in the UK or Ireland will also not be affected by these changes, and will continue to be eligible for support.

Students whose courses start before 1 August 2021 will continue to get student finance for the rest of their course.

Read the statement from Student Finance England and the UK Government here

Q. I'm an EU student. Will Brexit have an impact on my tuition fee status?

There will be no change to the tuition fee status of current EU students and fees will continue to be at the applicable Home fee rate for the duration of your course.

EU students applying to start at the University in 2019 will remain eligible for the Home fee rate for the duration of your course. In addition, there is no change to the eligibility requirements for financial support from Student Finance England for those starting courses in 2019/20. Read the full announcement here.

Universities Minister for England, Chris Skidmore, announced on 28th May that EU students who begin degrees in England in the academic year 2020/21 will continue to be eligible for the same fees as ‘home’ students.

EU students starting in this year will also remain eligible for loans to cover their tuition fee throughout their entire degree. A similar announcement has already been made for EU students studying in Scotland.

Q. Will there be any changes to the Cambridge scholarships available to EU and other international applicants (undergraduate and postgraduate)?

Undergradaute students from the EU starting courses in the academic year 2020-21 will continue to be eligible to access financial support from the Cambridge Bursaryy Scheme (CBS) for the duration of their course. 

Undergraduate EU students, with the exception of Irish nationals, starting courses from October 2021, will usually no longer be eligible for this scheme. For other types of EU student able to access the scheme, see the guidance given by Student Finance England for student support as the CBS will follow this guidance also.

Read the statement from Student Finance England here

Postgraduate students from the EU will continue to be eligible for UKRI (UK Research and Innovation) funding from the University. The UKRI has confirmed that international students (EU and non-EU) will be eligible for all Research Council-funded postgraduate studentships from the start of the 2021/22 academic year.  The text of the August 2020 public statement is here

Each Research Council DTP or CDT within the UKRI will be able to offer a limited number of studentships to international students; funding will cover both fees and a stipend to support living costs.

Each Research Council-funded DTP or CDT offers studentships in a slightly different way, and students should follow the links for the appropriate Cambridge DTP and CDT website links from the PG Admissions website here

EU students continue to be eligble for a variety of scholarships offered by the Collegiate University. In particular, see the Cambridge Trusts Scholarships page for further information.

Q. How will the University keep me updated?

The University will communicate with you directly via your University of Cambridge Hermes email address when there are significant updates. This website ( will also be regularly updated and revised to reflect up-to-date information.

Q. Who should I contact if I have queries about my position?

The University’s International Student Office provides information on a range of student-related immigration matters for applicants, students and their family members. 

Q. I’m a non-EEA national. Is there any impact on me?

The referendum has no effect upon the UK immigration system and there are no foreseeable changes to the mechanism by which non-EEA nationals can visit, study, work, or settle in the UK.