skip to content

Brexit: Analysis and FAQs


This information was last updated on 20 November 2020.

Please note: This section relates only to staff at the University

Q. What is an A1 certificate and what is its purpose?

The A1 is a posted worker certificate which shows:

  • which country’s social security laws apply to you while you work abroad, and
  • to which country your employer/you should pay social insurance contributions.

EU social security legislation is designed to allow employees to remain in the social security scheme of their normal country of residence and exempt them from contributions in the EU member state in which they are temporarily working.

During the transition period, any employee who normally resides in an EU member state who is working temporarily in another EU member state can still apply under the relevant EU social security agreement, to be covered under an A1 certificate.

Certificates may only be issued to 31st December 2020 at which point the new regulations will take effect.

Q. What is an S1 certificate and what is its purpose?

An S1 form (previously known as the E106) is a healthcare certificate that entitles employees and their dependants to healthcare in another EU country on the same basis as a resident of that country, whilst they are working there.

Please note that the S1 form is not the same as the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which should only be used for temporary trips within the EU (for Holidays etc.).  The EHIC should not be used by employee’s living and working overseas.

Each country’s healthcare system is different and may not include all the things you might expect to get free of charge from the NHS.  This means that, even if you hold an S1 certificate, you may have to make a payment contribution towards the cost of your care (known as a ‘co-payment’).  The S1 certificate does not entitle you to free healthcare.  You can find out more on the NHS website.

If you are unsure as to what you’re expected to pay for, you should discuss this with the treatment facility directly before you obtain treatment.

During the transition period, you can still apply for an S1 for yourself and any dependants if you are a posted worker who is covered under a valid A1 certificate.

Certificates may only be issued to 31st December 2020 at which point the new regulations will take effect.

Q. Will the University provide me with private medical insurance if I can no longer access state-provided medical facilities through my S1 certificate?

No. The University does not currently provide private medical insurance.  If private medical insurance is needed, as a result of Brexit, you would need to arrange and pay for this yourself or alternatively look in to the possibility of gaining access to state healthcare through local social security contributions.

Q. Will I now be subject to different immigration legislation?

UK Nationals will now be subject to new residency rules and registration procedures when living or working in the EU.  You will need to establish the registration and residency/work permit regulations that apply to your circumstances and make the appropriate applications.  Please note that even if you have already registered in the overseas location, prior to Brexit, you may need to re-register or amend your current registration, either before or after 31st December 2020.

For further information, please consult the local embassy webpages and


Q. Who should I contact if I have queries about my position?

For further information, please contact the Global Mobility Co-ordinator on​.