skip to content

Brexit: Analysis and FAQs

Page last updated on 1 October 2019 (FAQs on staff recruitment - interviews around 31 October).

The EU and UK have agreed a further delay to Brexit until 31 October 2019. The Government is still committed to trying to leave the EU with a deal as soon as possible.

The European Union (Withdrawal) (No.6) Bill, which passed into law on the 9 September, requires the Government to request an Article 50 extension by the 19 October, unless: 

  1. A deal with the EU is reached, and agreed by Parliament or

  2. Parliament agree to leave the European Union without a deal. 

This extension would last a further three months – until 31 January 2020. 

This extension would need to be agreed by the European Council. If and until it is agreed, the default position would still be to leave the European Union without a deal on 31 October 2019.

These Q&As will continue to be updated.


EU Settlement Scheme briefings

Information sessions for students on the EU Settlement Scheme will be held on 14, 19 and 26 October in the Student Services Centre. The sessions will provide a detailed overview of the scheme and guidance on the application process. There will also be the opportunity for questions and answers.

Sign up for these events


Online security

It is possible that online scammers may try to take advantage of any Brexit-related disruption. Please take note of the advice about online security available from UIS.

Key contacts for staff and students

  • The University’s International Student Office provides advice on a range of student-related immigration matters for applicants, students and their family members.


  • The HR Compliance Team have significant experience in assisting with immigration applications.


  • The Cambridge Research Office provides advice on the impact of Brexit on EU grants, research projects and collaborations. For further information please contact the EU team on using the email title 'Brexit query'.


  • If students have a query not answered by the FAQs, they should contact the Tutor or Senior Tutor in their college.